Who Can Get a 4.9GHz Public Safety License and How?

By: Courtney Hamby on April 16th, 2015

Print/Save as PDF

Who Can Get a 4.9GHz Public Safety License and How?

utilities  |  safety  |  4.9Ghz  |  FCC License Application  |  electric grid  |  public safety  |  public safety license  |  4.9GHz license  |  police  |  FCC

We want to be safe and the FCC is helping. The FCC reserves valuable radio frequencies for public safety authorities that can be used for Ultra-Reliable wireless video surveillance. These frequencies are very advantageous and are available across the United States. A license is completely free, it's easy to get and typically can be obtained in 48 hours. The FCC has only issued licenses in less than 3% of potential coverage areas so these frequencies have incredibly low background noise. The use of these reserved frequencies can enable our city's safety professionals to better provide for our individual safety. The reserved public safety frequencies are in the 4.9Ghz “Public Safety Band” and is protected by the FCC to ensure that only authorized public safety usage is allowed. This restriction enhances video reliability because the radio can operate without potential interference from consumer products that share the unlicensed 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz or 900Mhz bands. Huge installation growth opportunities exist now that 4.9Ghz radios cost the same as 5Ghz unlicensed radios and free licensing webinars are enabling quick licensing for immediate deployment.

Find more information about the Critical Infrastructure Protection here.


Who can get a license?
Private utilities, universities and commercial entities that are supporting Homeland Security and protection of life and property may enter into “sharing arrangements” with a government entity to use 4.9Ghz frequencies. At this time, only government entities are issued licenses but the FCC and local police are eager to support private entities that are actively contributing to public safety. Sharing arrangements can be a simple memo from the local police acknowledging the private entity has approval to use the frequencies within its jurisdiction. AvaLAN's products are made in the USA and our mission is to help every American to be safer. We know the FCC licensing process and we provide free webinars with Q&A and online FAQs.


How to get a license?
Obtaining a 4.9GHz license is very easy for rapid deployment within a government agency's jurisdiction of city, county, or state. The FCC grants these licenses very quickly and the license is valid for ten years and it can be immediately used for mobile, quick deployment and temporary fixed systems. Many public safety agencies have a radio licensing administrator who is familiar with the FCC's process for getting licenses for police/fire/safety mobile radios and “walkie-talkies”. The agency's administrator can use the steps below to request a 4.9Ghz license for their jurisdiction and the agency can then share the licensed frequencies with any non-government entities within its jurisdiction at their discretion. The only required paperwork is an internal “sharing agreement” memo between the agency and the private entity. A template is available at Private entities should contact their city, county or state police to request a “Public Safety 4.9GHz Sharing Agreement” and offer the online support resources to get the process started if needed.

4.9GHz licenses can be approved in under 48hrs. This is how:

Step 1 – Register with the FCC
Go to Click Register (skip to Step 2 if already registered)
Follow the instructions to obtain a 10-digit FRN

Step 2 – FCC License Application:
Go to Click Log In and then enter the FRN and password
Select “Apply for a New License”
Scroll down the “Select Service” and choose “Public Safety 4940-4990 MHz Band”
A pop-up window will appear with a Java applet and the browser may require clicking trusted and pop-ups allowed.

Step 3 – Enter into the Online Form:


Step 4 – Submit the Application:
Click Submit in the lower right corner of the screen and typically the FCC will respond within 48 hours.

Step 5 – Add the fixed locations (if applicable)
Permanently installed [fixed] radios require additional information but it is not required until the radios
are operating in permanent locations for up to a year, therefore it is wise to wait until the system is tested and fully operational before submitting fixed location information. Mobile, quick deployment and
temporarily fixed radios do not require this information. After a fixed radio system is fully tested and
operational, it is then necessary to add the permanently fixed radios' locations and antenna information to the license. Most of the required information about the “fixed locations” can be gathered by simply using Google Earth (see example below). There will be some antenna information that the radio manufacturer will provide. AvaLAN offers an online guide and webinar assistance for entering this information into the FCC licensing form's pages for Location, Antenna and Frequency.

The radio's information includes:
- Antenna height above ground
- How the radio is mounted (pole, tower, side of building)
- Height the antenna is above surrounding trees or buildings (0 if below)
- Compass direction the antenna is facing towards (0 for an access point)
- Approximate street address
- GPS coordinates with Elevation

Watch our 4.9 GHz Webinar Recording