Long Range Networking Made Easy by Ethernet Bridge
A wireless bridge is an important piece of technology for creating major wireless network over a long distance. It takes an existing signal from a wireless router or wireless access point and rebroadcasts it to create a second network. Some wireless Ethernet are also equipped to connect through the new repeated network and therefore, increase the distance span coverage of the network.
How it Works:
The wireless Ethernet bridge passes high layered protocols through physical link so that the information reaches the remote side and is generated throughout the network.
- The data is forwarded across the link unmodified, with the extenders adding and deleting addresses and passing only packets over the LAN network.
- A bridge is a pair of devicies working together, with one being the local unit while the other being a remote unit. As long as the local link is powered on, the remote link can be established by being powered on or having the power reset
- Eight DIP switches enable to configure each extender for a variety of applications. They can also be set by changing duplex and network speed.
- Now started, the front panel LEDs can help in monitoring the operation of the wireless Ethernet bridge.
The Wireless bridge is a great device for creating wide area networks. An outdoor wireless bridge can be created between 2 points who are multiple miles away, or created between 3 or more location with one base station and other multiple stations connected to the base. Some other features are:
- Breaks barriers: Its 900 MHz Directional Ethernet can extend a network as far as 6000 feet and can achieve 50mbps full duplex speeds.
- Less expensive: This speed can easily be achieved in voice grade wiring or Category 3 cable. Therefore, it is less expensive than using fiber to connect remote Ethernet LANs or PC.
- Easy to operate: Once the bridge is configured, it runs smoothly and does not require any further user intervention. Connect one to a network enabled device like a PC and plug the other to the central network jack to provide the interconnection.
- Increased output: There is a larger throughput by the bridged pair which provides greater bandwidth than traditional copper wired technologies.
The actual distance and the performance of the machine varies upon the environment and the type of wiring used for connection of networks. The Ethernet bridge brings great flexibility to service providers and customers who want differing and increasing speed for their network. Because of the high bandwidth, they are able to deliver HDTV, VoIP and Web access without the use of expensive cables.